Get Started for a Free Consultation!

Debt Destroy

Capital One Debt Forgiveness

Are They Sober? Rep Points:
Posted on October 28, 2009 at 4:11 am
I read somewhere that credit card issuers such as JPMorgan Chase & Co., Bank of America Corp., Citigroup Inc. and Capital One Financial Corp. are proposing that they be let to forgive up to 40% of their clients debt. Are they okay?Debt forgiveness, what does it mean?

peterpanamerican Rep Points:
Posted on October 28, 2009 at 4:16 am
I read somewhere that credit card issuers such as JPMorgan Chase & Co., Bank of America Corp., Citigroup Inc. and Capital One Financial Corp. are proposing that they be let to forgive up to 40% of their clients debt. Are they okay?Debt forgiveness, what does it mean? I think it's as simple as the banks wanting to get something rather than nothing from the consumers. Obviously, the consumers can't pay anymore, and if it helps to lower the balance (to motivate the consumers to pay) then they're all for it too.This debt forgiveness project is headed by groups such as the Financial Services Roundtable and the Consumer Federation of America.

damon and graham Rep Points:
Posted on October 28, 2009 at 4:34 am
read somewhere that credit card issuers such as JPMorgan Chase & Co., Bank of America Corp., Citigroup Inc. and Capital One Financial Corp. are proposing that they be let to forgive up to 40% of their clients debt. Are they okay?Debt forgiveness, what does it mean?There is an industry called Debt Settlement and it has the same working principle as that debt forgiveness that the banks are proposing. I think it has been around for more than 5 years. Although in the past years, some creditors refuse to deal with settlement companies. It changed with the recession. They realized that something indeed is better than nothing.How does debt settlement work?The consumer enrolls in the program.The qualifications are: Over $10,000 in debt amount and past due accountsThe program is about reducing the consumer's balance to more or less half of its original amount.The settlement company writes the creditors/collection agency/law firm a power of attorney - meaning: from now on, they would deal with them on behalf of the consumerThe settlement company proposes an amount (lump sum or installment) to the creditorsvia a settlement letterIf the creditors accept, they are agreeing that that amount be the full payment.Can somebody state what those banks proposal is exactly?

x and y Rep Points:
Posted on October 28, 2009 at 4:44 am
Debt Forgivness proposal - JPMorgan Chase & Co., Bank of America Corp., Citigroup Inc. and Capital One Financial Corp. "The banks are proposing that consumers who qualify for partial debt forgiveness be given five years to pay off their remaining balances, rather than the current three to six months. They’re also proposing that consumers not have to pay taxes on any debt forgiven for five years, as opposed to the current requirement that such taxes be paid immediately. To qualify, a cardholder would first have to see a credit counselor, who would use criteria provided by lenders to determine how much of the consumer’s balance could be waived — anywhere from 10% to 40%, depending on income, assets and other financial considerations. No interest would be charged on the remaining amount of credit card debt."
Posted on October 28, 2009 at 4:47 am
It's still a proposal right? Luckily, I agree with damon and graham, there is a debt settlement industry that could help consumers NOW rather than wait for that proposal to be approved.If the consumer wants to know more about debt settlement, destroydebt.com is offering a free initial debt consultation, feel free to fill out a form.
Posted on March 5, 2010 at 1:30 pm
I participated in a Capital One debt forgiveness program in 2006. Still to this day I am harrased by the collection agency they sold my PAID debt to. Capital One accepted the money and now they have NO record of the paid credit card account number. When I call the number on my Capital One statement all it says is "Capital One no longer participates in this program".  
Posted on March 9, 2010 at 4:51 am
A related question.Whether or not debt forgiveness was with Capital One - what is its tax implication?

stevie (Guest) Rep Points:
Posted on October 5, 2010 at 11:23 am
The tax implications are this,, any debt they forgive they report to the IRS and it is considered income to you...

esterlydsl Rep Points:
Posted on November 21, 2010 at 10:57 pm

debtsecticide Rep Points:
Posted on November 29, 2010 at 9:38 pm
Debt forgiveness, may it be by Capital One or not, would have tax consequences.
Page: 1 2
Debt forgiveness is neither so uncommon, nor is it an absurdity.It is a provisison to get back as much as the debtor could be actually able to repay back, because, unless the creditor is aware of the fact that his debtor may be heading towards a bankrupt situation, he won't allow him debt forgiveness.