Get Started for a Free Consultation!

Debt Destroy

On Debt And Moving Abroad...

patticakes Rep Points:
Posted on October 21, 2009 at 10:54 pm
Hi everyone, I hope someone can address my concern regarding debt and moving abroad...I'm getting married soon and will be relocating to my husband's home country. The thing is I have a lot of credit card debt here in the US to take care of. I really don't want to compromise that, and my future marriage as well. I wonder if debt collectors will still contact me and everything once I have left. DOn't get me wrong, I want to get everything taken care of, it's just that I also need to figure out a way to balance all my finances together and see what is the best thing I can do regarding the situation, which is why I also asked for your help.thanks for the assistance! Looking forward to your answer.

Karess Rep Points:
Posted on October 21, 2009 at 11:48 pm
If you are in debt and plan to move abroad, your creditors only have jurisdiction to collect within the United States. Long story short, you'll just be receiving mail and calls from them, but they will not pursue collection efforts when you finally relocate to your future husband's home country.Hope that answers your concern on debt and moving abroad.How much credit card debt do you currently have? You can get that taken care of thru a debt consolidation option, instead of just letting it be.

Lurker (Guest) Rep Points:
Posted on October 22, 2009 at 12:55 am
Debt and moving abroad sounds like a touchy thing. From what I know credit card debts are ok. If you have federally secured debts such as child support and spousal obligations on the other hand, it would be a little bit more tricky for you to get out of the country. I believe you have to settle these first before you jump on the plane.

CheetosLover Rep Points:
Posted on October 22, 2009 at 2:11 am
Also, a word of caution on having debt and moving abroad: if you have plans of coming back to the States after having left neglected debts behind which eventually have gone to collections or even received judgments, it would be daunting to get an apartment, apply for new credit, or even get a job. That's because these records would be reported on your credit file, and would remain there for seven years at the most.

patticakes Rep Points:
Posted on October 22, 2009 at 2:45 am
Thanks so much for your advice on having debt and moving abroad. I dont have intentions of leaving it be, just so you know. I want to get this taken care of but I don't know how, so please bear with me.I currently have around $10k in credit card debt. Do you think it's a good idea for me to consolidate that? How long will it take for me to do so?

Purple Cow Rep Points:
Posted on October 22, 2009 at 3:21 am
Consolidating debt really takes long and it may take some time considering that you're in the process of moving abroad. A debt settlement can last as long as three years, while credit counseling can go up to five years. However, you can settle that debt in one lump sum, that is if you have the funds available for that.

Clancy (Guest) Rep Points:
Posted on October 22, 2009 at 4:11 am
I've a question on the debt and moving abroad issue...Is it true that if you do decide to move out of the country and in effect stop paying altogether you'd only have a 50% chance of getting sued?

caffeinatrix Rep Points:
Posted on October 23, 2009 at 3:01 am
That's certainly possible, Clancy, especially if you have debt and are moving abroad. The thing is, whether you move abroad or not, you still have a possibility of being sued by your creditor.

Jenn (Guest) Rep Points:
Posted on July 16, 2010 at 11:49 am
I am curious as to how leaving the US with debt might impact your visits to see family? Can they stop you from entering the country to visit?